Per the City of Brandon, Waste Management does not pickup garbage on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day each year. This year both of those holidays fall on a Wednesday which does NOT cause a missed day for the City of Brandon. There will be no disruptions in the garbage pickup for any of the City of Brandon routes during the Christmas or New Year’s weeks. All pickup days will be as normally scheduled including Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
However, please be advised that due to the holidays there will be an influx of garbage to be picked up. In years past, debris, such as limbs, leaves, etc, have been skipped during the holiday weeks so that all of the household trash can be recovered. If this happens, the debris will be picked up as soon as possible during the next few route days.
There may also be a delay in the time of day that trash is picked up during these weeks due to the influx of garbage. Please be patient through this process. All garbage needs to be at curbside by 7:00am on their regular pick up days to ensure that it is not missed. If garbage is missed completely on a day, please notify our office, and we will make sure it is recovered as quickly as possible.
You may also put Christmas trees out for pickup on the second pickup day for disposal. However, these may not be picked up until the week of New Year’s or the week after since it is considered debris.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the Public Works Department at 601-824-4579 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Speaking of garbage pickup, please also be aware of the limb and yard debris requirements below, which was adopted by the City in 2017.
Pickup for Leaf and Yard Debris will occur on the second pickup day of the week by Waste Management.
REQUIREMENTS FOR LIMB PICKUP BY WASTE MANAGEMENT
• Limbs shall be no larger than 5 feet long & 8 inches in diameter.
• Individual limb piles shall be stacked to a maximum of 3 feet in height.
• Individual limb piles shall be no larger than 60 pounds
• Limbs shall be bundled neatly and placed next to garbage at curbside (do not place in street or on/in front of storm drains).
• There shall be no construction material within limb piles for pickup.
• Limbs & debris will be picked up on the second pickup day of the week.
• Limbs placed at curb not in compliance with these standards shall not be picked up. Code enforcement will contact residences with compliance issues to resolve.
• Trees and limbs cut by a contractor are the responsibility of the contractor to remove per city ordinance – Section 66-45.
• Small diameter branches and trimming can be placed in a trash container.
REQUIREMENTS FOR LEAF PICKUP BY WASTE MANAGEMENT
• All yard debris including leaves, grass, and garden debris shall be bagged. Brandon has discontinued use of the vacuum roadside leaf service.
• Bags and/or bundles shall be placed at the curb, a few feet from your trash cart, by 7:00 AM on the morning of your second scheduled collection day.
• Leaves or debris shall not be placed in the street or near a storm drain per city ordinance. Code enforcement can issue citations for debris placed directly in the street or gutter. Leaves and debris placed in the street or gutter ultimately get carried by storm water into our lakes where the nutrients contribute to algae growth.
• Debris determined to be left by professional landscapers will not be collected.
Construction Debris: Waste Management will not collect solid waste resulting solely from construction, remodeling, repair, or demolition operations on homes, buildings or other structures. This includes roofing materials, landscape materials, tree removal, bricks, concrete, fencing material, etc. The homeowner will be responsible for disposal of such debris.